How Does the USC Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund Change Lives?
- Advanced education enhances lives by offering an opportunity for individuals to pursue their dreams of a rewarding career, fostering independence, and regained self-esteem after a life- changing injury or illness.
- A Swim With Mike scholarship provides the support for our scholarship recipients to realize these ambitions and experience personal success.
How Do I Make a General Donation to Swim With Mike?
- We welcome your support for our general scholarship fund
- Online donations can be made at swimwithmike.org/Participate/General Donations
- By mail – our address is Swim With Mike, USC Heritage Hall 203B, 3501 Watt Way, Los Angeles, CA 90089.0602
Gifts in Honor or Memory
- Honor a birthday, anniversary, graduation, or any meaningful lifetime event with a gift of SWM support. We will acknowledge your generous support to your honoree or family.
- Remember a special friend, family member, or colleague with an SWM gift is a special way to pay tribute to them.
Are Gifts Tax Deductible?
- All gifts made to the Swim With Mike Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship fund are tax deductible, as we are incorporated in the 501(c)(3) nonprofit status of the University of Southern California.
What is a Swim With Mike Campaign Director?
- A campaign Director raises funds to support eh USC Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund by establishing your own signature campaign and asking friends, family, and colleagues to support your efforts.
- Your successful fundraising will create the Ripple Effect for a wave of support to provide scholarships for our extremely qualified and deserving scholarship recipients.
How Do I Become a Campaign Director?
- Complete the registration form found at swimwithmike.org/physically-challenged-athletes-scholarship-application
- After you fill out our short form, contact your friends, family, colleagues, contact lists, and social media friends to ask them to support your efforts to raise funds in support of Swim With Mike and to visit our website to learn more about your campaign and our philanthropy.
How Do I Support a Campaign?
- Visit swimwithmike.org/back-a-swimmer and enter the campaign name you wish to support, then complete the information on that page and submit.
- Send in your contribution to us at Swim With Mike, USC Heritage Hall 203B, 3501 Watt Way, Los Angeles, CA 90089.0602
Recruit Fellow Campaign Directors
- The more the merrier!
- Share your Swim With Mike fever with your classmates, family, and friends and recruit them to be a fellow Campaign Director – maybe make it a competition!
- We can accomplish much more – and have more fun – with a larger core of Campaign Directors.
How Does One Qualify to Receive a Swim With Mike Scholarship?
- Our USC Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund supports college scholarships for athletes who participated in organized competitive youth high school or collegiate athletics and subsequently have sustained a life-changing accident or illness (g. paralysis, blindness, cancer, amputation, head injuries.)
- Scholarship recipients will meet the admissions standards at a four year or graduate-level institution of higher learning.
How Do I Apply For a Swim With Mike Scholarship?
How Are Swim With Mike Scholarship Recipients Selected?
- Complete scholarship applications must be submitted to Swim With Mike Executive Director and
Founder, Ron Orr, prior to the May 1 deadline.
- The Swim With Mike Board of Directors meet in June to review new applications as well as renewals.
What is USC’s Role in the Swim With Mike Scholarship?
Our 40 Year Relationship
- The Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund was established at the University of Southern California in 1981 as a result of a successful fundraiser initiated by former USC National Championship Swimmer and USC employee, Ron Orr, to benefit his lifelong friend and three-time All American USC Swim Teammate, Mike Nyeholt, who was suddenly paralyzed in a motorcycle accident. The first swim-a-thon was created to raise funds to purchase a specially equipped van for Mike to allow him to continue to pursue his career.
- The event was immensely successful, and funds raised exceeded the amount needed for Mike’s van. At Mike’s visionary suggestion, USC established the Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund whose mission would be to provide financial resources for advanced education that pave the way for physically challenged athletes to overcome their tragedies and realize their full potential for qualified USC students. In 2000 Swim With Mike Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund extended its scholarship support to applicants at other universities across the nation.
- Over our 40 year history, USC has a been supportive partner in the growth and success of the Swim With Mike event and the Physically Challenged Athletes Scholarship Fund.
Our 40 Years of Swim With Mike
- 189 Alumni Scholarship Recipients
- 131 Total Universities Nationwide
- 64 Current Scholarship Recipients in 2019-20 Academic Year
- 47 Current Universities Represented in 2019-20 Academic Year
- 186 Total Male Scholarship Recipients
- 67 Total Female Scholarship Recipients
- 215 Spinal Cord Injuries
- 23 Amputees
- 16 Other Disabilities